As world populations require both more clean water and better ways to dispose of wastewater, the demand for water reclamation will increase. Reclaimed water, sometimes called recycled water, is former wastewater that has been treated to remove solids and certain impurities, and then reused for a variety of applications including landscaping, irrigation, and recharging groundwater aquifers. Treating water for reuse is an important part of water conservation efforts and in some regions of the world makes great economic sense.
Benefits of wastewater reuse:
- The water and nutrient content in treated wastewater can be very useful for agricultural purposes
- It enables municipalities to generate revenue by selling their sewage
- Wastewater reuse contributes to National Development
- It provides a strong motivation for effective O&M thus controlling the Environmental pollution
- Provides opportunities for privatization
Other uses of cleaned wastewater:
- Industrial reuse of cooling systems, boiler feed, process water
- Wastewater reuse in agriculture and horticulture, watering of lawns, golf courses
- Ground water recharge for augmenting ground water resources for downstream uses or for preventing saline water intrusion in coastal areas
- Fire protection
The Headworks MBBR/IFAS biological system offers a novel and dependable solution for wastewater treatment, recovery, and reuse when non potable water quality is required, e.g. , for field irrigation, industrial use, wash water, flush water, etc. IFAS/MBBR technology offers flexible solutions to a multitude of biological process upgrade applications such as nitrogen and phosphorus removal, increases in treatment capacity, and wastewater reuse.
Upgrading to an MBBR or IFAS process can be completed in a cost-effective and timely manner without major civil engineering requirements. PLC based control systems optimize IFAS/MBBR process performance by minimizing energy and chemical cost.
|Jamaica Public Service Company
ActiveCell Biological Treatment System Treats Wastewater for Reuse Application